Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

Obituary for Patrick M. Eagan

In searching the Fulton NY Post Card site (which has old newspapers in addition to old post cards) I came across the obituary in the June 2, 1903 Rochester, NY Democrat & Chronicle for my great-grandfather, Patrick M. Eagan. Here is the obit:

Obituary for Patrick M. Eagan


A couple of things noted in the obituary are new to me. 
  • It notes that he was born in  Cork, Ireland. Whether this means Co. Cork or Cork City remains to be seen. Up to this point I had no idea where in Ireland my great-grandfather came from. When I was young I asked my father where his family came from and he told me that he thought it was Co. Kerry but he was not sure.
  • It also notes that he left Ireland at the age 12 meaning he came here about 1840. I wonder if he came by himself or with other members of his family?
  • It notes that before he came to Rochester he was in Albion, NY. Albion is in Orleans County as is Medina, the baptismal site for Patrick and Mary Eagan's first child, Catherine Jane Eagan.

No comments: